Forum Improvements
  • Godlike Fuzzydice

So, with not much else to do today, I’ve been going over the plugins on the forums, and adding anything that seems neat or useful. Here’s an overview of what I’ve added:

Login Improvements

Now you can log in with your Google, GitHub, Twitter, or Facebook accounts. Also, on generic registration, I now have reCaptcha enabled, to help keep spammers away.

Emoji

We now have support for all kinds of crazy emoji: :shit: :+1: :two_women_holding_hands: If you want to find out what’s available, check out: http://www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com/. (We support everything there.)

Oh, and did I mention the editor will auto-complete them for you? XD

Reddit Links

Links to reddit are now automatically parsed. For example, let’s say I wanted to link to: /r/funny. See how that’s a link? Neat, huh?

XKCD Links

We can now also reference XKCD images, like so: xkcd#1443. That XKCD image now shows up at the bottom of the post.

Topic Badges

You can now add a badge to your topic, simply by putting the badge in square brackets in your topic title. For example, "[Question] Do you like these forums?" would add the badge “Question” to your post. (See here for more info.)

Spoilers Tag

We now have a spoiler’s tag. Simply type >! before any sentence, and you will see:

! Snape kills Iron Man in “Avengers 2: The Half-baked Crossover.”

GitHub Issue linking

We can now link to GitHub issues. For example, take SkewedAspect/rfi-webgl-client#12. It makes the issue show up at the bottome of the post. (I might prefer it to show up inline, but that doesn’t seem to work.

last edited by Morgul
  • @Morgul Wow, that’s awesome :D

Thank God you waited until after I’d registered to add reCaptcha, I have to ask other people to sign up on sites with reCaptcha due to Google’s blockage here.

XKCD - SO MUCH YES

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 said:

Thank God you waited until after I’d registered to add reCaptcha, I have to ask other people to sign up on sites with reCaptcha due to Google’s blockage here.

Ah, I didn’t even consider that. I’ll have to poke around, there might be a way I can put a notice on the registration page telling anyone having issues with reCaptcha to email us, and we’ll set things up for them manually.

@TriBlade9 said:

XKCD - SO MUCH YES

Yeah, when I saw that plugin, I got pretty excited. XD (That, the GitHub issues linking and the Emoji are my favorites so far.)

Oh, also, I enabled desktop notifications, which is actually pretty neat.

• @Morgul Desktop notifications – Neat idea, yes. Annoying as heck, yes. XD
    Also, is it now possible to link your forum account to a GitHub account?

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 It should be. The “linking” process seems to be ‘log out, and log in with GitHub.’ It seems to unify accounts with the same email.

Yeah, I wish the desktop notifications were a setting per account, not universal. If they’re too annoying, I’ll turn them off.

• @Morgul How does logging in with GitHub work? Clicking on the octocat link on the login page just redirects back to the login page. Nothing seems to change.

Desktop notifications aren’t a big deal, and they’re less annoying on Windows I believe.

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 said:

@Morgul How does logging in with GitHub work? Clicking on the octocat link on the login page just redirects back to the login page. Nothing seems to change.

Whoops! I had a typo in the setup of the GitHub app callback. So, no, it didn’t. Now it does, I just logged in with it. Thanks!

• @Morgul Ah, alrighty then. Let me go try. :3

EDIT: Seems to work, much better. :octocat:

last edited by TriBlade9
    Views
  • Looks like your connection to Forum Improvements was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.