• Godlike Fuzzydice

We have been beta-testing Slack among the core developers for a little while now, and we have been really impressed by it. Today, we’re making the team public, so anyone can join us and follow along with development, or just chat about random things.

Join us on Slack today!

What is Slack?

Slack is a real-time chat application, much like IRC. Unlike IRC, however, Slack has built-in support for history, is web-based, and has amazing notification support. While I’m often logged in, if I wasn’t, a simple mention of my username will immediately send a notification to my phone. It’s easy to keep up with what’s going on, without a need for a huge time investment.

What’s this invite thing all about?

Slack is designed for teams. Unfortunately, they seem to have decided not to support the common IRC use case of general users joining in channels. While the do support single-channel guests, they still need an invite (and are a pay-for feature).

We get around that by having a form you can use to invite yourself! Then, you will be made a team member, and have access to our chat. I wish there were a better way, but for now this is good enough. Several large projects use this, including Socket.io. (One of their developers wrote the auto-invite system we use, slackin).

Let us know what you think.

We’re all about community feedback. Feel free to let us know what you think about Slack, and if you feel it meets our community’s needs.

Hope to see you soon!

last edited by Morgul