Asset Discussion and Review
  • @Morgul For some reason that post didn’t show up in the notifications. O_o

Perhaps we should do stars with particles/shader programs instead of models? Since they’re pretty much circles with emission shaders and a halo, it probably isn’t worth making a model for them. (Sphere?)

Space stations are indeed important, but I have no idea where to start on that. Any pointers?

Another idea would be to skip making static scenes and jump right into “sector” generation? I assume you’d want it to be at least semi-procedural.

On the topic of re-mapping the asteroids… Yeah… Uhh… I suck at it, so far only made it worse. :P

Also, I’ve gotten back into playing a bit of StarMade, and I’m finding it easier to mock up a ship there, then model it in Blender as opposed to starting from scratch (idea?). Also they use shader-based stars, which have a very Michael Bay feel to them.

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 Sorry, it’s been a bit! Finally home from my trip.

@TriBlade9 said:

Perhaps we should do stars with particles/shader programs instead of models? Since they’re pretty much circles with emission shaders and a halo, it probably isn’t worth making a model for them. (Sphere?)

That sounds like a good idea to me. I’m all for it, if someone (not me) wants to figure out how to make it work. :-p

Space stations are indeed important, but I have no idea where to start on that. Any pointers?

I’ll see if I can’t find some inspiration for you a bit later. (We should probably make a new topic for that. Maybe use the tag assets for all asset discussion topics?

Another idea would be to skip making static scenes and jump right into “sector” generation? I assume you’d want it to be at least semi-procedural.

A lot of design needs to go into this, and, tbh, we can get the code gameplay (how powers/ships work, questing, etc) going before we have to answer it. So, yes, probably, but unsure atm.

On the topic of re-mapping the asteroids… Yeah… Uhh… I suck at it, so far only made it worse. :P

No worries.

Also, I’ve gotten back into playing a bit of StarMade, and I’m finding it easier to mock up a ship there, then model it in Blender as opposed to starting from scratch (idea?). Also they use shader-based stars, which have a very Michael Bay feel to them.

Hmm, StarMade seems interesting. I’ll check it out, see what I think. :)

• @Morgul Glad you’re back! How did it go?

I’m not the person to ask about how shaders work, find some OpenGL guru.

Basic scene creation could be done in a few lines and loops, and a more advanced one could come later.

I haven’t worked on the asteroids/assets in awhile, been working on a few other things involving BabylonJS
    http://triblade9.github.io/VoxelMesher-BabylonJS/
    http://github.com/TriBlade9/COOBS

VOXELS :D

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 said:

@Morgul Glad you’re back! How did it go?

Pretty well, all in all. :)

I’m not the person to ask about how shaders work, find some OpenGL guru.

@WhiteLynx: You’re up. :-p

Basic scene creation could be done in a few lines and loops, and a more advanced one could come later.

Fair point, but, not something I feel the need to worry about right now. Maybe in a few weeks, unless you want to poke any ideas.

I haven’t worked on the asteroids/assets in awhile, been working on a few other things involving BabylonJS
    http://triblade9.github.io/VoxelMesher-BabylonJS/
    http://github.com/TriBlade9/COOBS

VOXELS :D

Nifty! I’ll have to play around with those some more a little later.

• @Morgul
    Anything other than UV mapping needed for the asteroids?

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 There’s a couple of asteroids in the scene not in their own files. (specifically ‘SurfDonut’, iirc), which might be nice to get exported stand alone. That’s all I can think of, atm.

The big focus is on SkewedAspect/rfi-webgl-client#12 at the moment. Once we get that to a point I’m happy closing the issue, then we’ll release, get a version up on a server somewhere, and then look at game-play related stuff, like getting the Bullfrog in, building some powers, making combat work, and maybe adding chat.

• @Morgul Alright, I’ll try to get around to that today. Currently hung up on getting picking to distinguish between babylon meshes and my extension of it.

EDIT: Welp, I’m gonna be honest, it’s not gonna get done today (or tomorrow [I’ll be away.]) Still working on proper picking, been through about four algorithms, all of which have rounding issues or don’t work with a rotation matrix properly.

EDIT: Done with that project. :D
    Working on extracting the asteroids now. Here’s an idea for the scale you were using. So that I could view SurfDonut at all on my measly laptop, I had to scale it to size 0.002. (Therefore the scale might be off a bit)

SurfDonut and TehShoe have been added to the repository. :3

last edited by TriBlade9
  • @TriBlade9 Just so that this shows up in the notifications, SurfDonut and TehShoe have been separated from the scene and added as asteroids. :3

• So, umm, it’s been about a month. Anything going on?

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 Yes! Just wait, there’s going to be a really interesting topic added shortly. XD

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Asset Discussion and Review was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.