Asset Discussion and Review
  • This thread is meant to facilitate the development of assets for RFI: Precursors by organizing the goals for the game’s assets and working toward them through iterative development and review…

(TL;DR: A bunch of professional-sounding words. They basically mean: Tell us what needs to change in the art and stuff so it can get better.)

Please discuss! The items in bold need the most review at the current time.

Current Models:

• Asteroids: Assorted, Terribly named :P
    • Ship: Ares
    • Ship: Bullfrog
      Bullfrog Img

Current Icons:
    NONE

Current Skyboxes:

• Purple Nebula

Current Scenes

• “Asteroids” scene (aka our test level)

Current Artwork (Background images, etc.):
    NONE

Current Sounds:
    NONE (That I know of)

last edited by Morgul
  • Godlike Fuzzydice

I can confirm that there’s currently no sound files.

At the moment, what we need most are just the two ships and the asteroids. We should be able to nail down the last bits of gameplay and even be able to flight/fight with each other before we have to worry about more assets.

Regarding the asteroids, they’re nostalgic, but give all the trouble with the files, I’m all for creating new ones (the textures could probably be reused, but I’m not even tied to those), and even a whole new scene in general. I’d love to get the client loading an actual babylon scene file, but at the moment it was easier to hard code everything. --So, yes, let’s redo the asteroids.

• SA Member

Don’t forget to list the skybox among our assets!

We’ll probably want more of those.

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@Burstaholic There, added it.

Also, my guess is @Leftie will be able to work us up some artwork, if we ask nicely enough. :-p

• @Morgul Other than the names, I think the asteroids are fine (I cleaned up the blend files extensively), although IMO all the models should be scaled down quite a bit, as the large size makes them quite hard to edit on a semi-low-power laptop. ;)

Perhaps we should reduce the vertex count on a few of them though?

@Burstaholic Thanks for adding the skyboxes, I forgot about that.

If we need placeholder icons, this site might be of use: http://game-icons.net/

last edited by TriBlade9
  • Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 said:

@Morgul Other than the names, I think the asteroids are fine (I cleaned up the blend files extensively), although IMO all the models should be scaled down quite a bit, as the large size makes them quite hard to edit on a semi-low-power laptop. ;)

Perhaps we should reduce the vertex count on a few of them though?

There’s still some texture coordinate problems, tbh. But, I’d be all for reducing the size and using a uniform scaling factor (basically, all of them get scaled by, say 100). I’m also cool with simplifying them, and cleaning up the vertex count. Any work done on them is fine by me.

@WhiteLynx: you first made them… any thoughts?

@TriBlade9 said:

If we need placeholder icons, this site might be of use: http://game-icons.net/

Ooh, yeah, totally useful for like powers and things. Of course we will eventually want our own icons, but these aren’t half bad!

• @Morgul
    I’d be happy to attempt to re-UV map them, though I’ve never been very successful with those.
    What would be your advised scale? /100, /50, /10?

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 Alright, go for it, see if you can make any progress.

I’d suggest going with a uniform /100 scale; see how that works.

Edit: Also, there’s several asteroids not in their own files that are in the scene file. The one I’m really missing is the deformed torus (it was fun to fly through it).

The more I think about it, the more I think that scene file could simply be edited, and we could ditch the individual file all together. For now, we could use importMesh() to pull the file in as we currently are, but once we’re ready to give loading an entire scene a try, we could simply load the scene file proper. Really, I think our only hangup is not being sure how to properly build and import a scene from blender.

And, thinking about it, we should list scenes among our assets. (I’ll edit that.)

last edited by Morgul
  • @Morgul If you do want to go the scene route for asteroids, then I’d advice totally re-creating the scene. I could then import asteroids from the old scene, and all of the new ones.

The biggest issue with the scene as it is that my computer doesn’t want to load it without crashing blender… xD

last edited by TriBlade9
  • Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 I’m fine with making a new scene all together. If we’re going to do that, though, perhaps we should thinking about what we really want in the scene, as it’ll need to be our test level for a little while.

Here’s what I can see wanting:

• Sun (maybe?)
    • Asteroids (landmarks for us flying around)
    • Space Station (as a future quest hub/bank/other things)

Can anyone think of anything else our test level could use? I can see wanting the space station to actually be an entity, and not scenery, but I have no idea what kind of metadata or level of control we would have in BabylonJS to inject our own code when something like that gets loaded… hmm…

• @Morgul For some reason that post didn’t show up in the notifications. O_o

Perhaps we should do stars with particles/shader programs instead of models? Since they’re pretty much circles with emission shaders and a halo, it probably isn’t worth making a model for them. (Sphere?)

Space stations are indeed important, but I have no idea where to start on that. Any pointers?

Another idea would be to skip making static scenes and jump right into “sector” generation? I assume you’d want it to be at least semi-procedural.

On the topic of re-mapping the asteroids… Yeah… Uhh… I suck at it, so far only made it worse. :P

Also, I’ve gotten back into playing a bit of StarMade, and I’m finding it easier to mock up a ship there, then model it in Blender as opposed to starting from scratch (idea?). Also they use shader-based stars, which have a very Michael Bay feel to them.

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 Sorry, it’s been a bit! Finally home from my trip.

@TriBlade9 said:

Perhaps we should do stars with particles/shader programs instead of models? Since they’re pretty much circles with emission shaders and a halo, it probably isn’t worth making a model for them. (Sphere?)

That sounds like a good idea to me. I’m all for it, if someone (not me) wants to figure out how to make it work. :-p

Space stations are indeed important, but I have no idea where to start on that. Any pointers?

I’ll see if I can’t find some inspiration for you a bit later. (We should probably make a new topic for that. Maybe use the tag assets for all asset discussion topics?

Another idea would be to skip making static scenes and jump right into “sector” generation? I assume you’d want it to be at least semi-procedural.

A lot of design needs to go into this, and, tbh, we can get the code gameplay (how powers/ships work, questing, etc) going before we have to answer it. So, yes, probably, but unsure atm.

On the topic of re-mapping the asteroids… Yeah… Uhh… I suck at it, so far only made it worse. :P

No worries.

Also, I’ve gotten back into playing a bit of StarMade, and I’m finding it easier to mock up a ship there, then model it in Blender as opposed to starting from scratch (idea?). Also they use shader-based stars, which have a very Michael Bay feel to them.

Hmm, StarMade seems interesting. I’ll check it out, see what I think. :)

• @Morgul Glad you’re back! How did it go?

I’m not the person to ask about how shaders work, find some OpenGL guru.

Basic scene creation could be done in a few lines and loops, and a more advanced one could come later.

I haven’t worked on the asteroids/assets in awhile, been working on a few other things involving BabylonJS
    http://triblade9.github.io/VoxelMesher-BabylonJS/
    http://github.com/TriBlade9/COOBS

VOXELS :D

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 said:

@Morgul Glad you’re back! How did it go?

Pretty well, all in all. :)

I’m not the person to ask about how shaders work, find some OpenGL guru.

@WhiteLynx: You’re up. :-p

Basic scene creation could be done in a few lines and loops, and a more advanced one could come later.

Fair point, but, not something I feel the need to worry about right now. Maybe in a few weeks, unless you want to poke any ideas.

I haven’t worked on the asteroids/assets in awhile, been working on a few other things involving BabylonJS
    http://triblade9.github.io/VoxelMesher-BabylonJS/
    http://github.com/TriBlade9/COOBS

VOXELS :D

Nifty! I’ll have to play around with those some more a little later.

• @Morgul
    Anything other than UV mapping needed for the asteroids?

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 There’s a couple of asteroids in the scene not in their own files. (specifically ‘SurfDonut’, iirc), which might be nice to get exported stand alone. That’s all I can think of, atm.

The big focus is on SkewedAspect/rfi-webgl-client#12 at the moment. Once we get that to a point I’m happy closing the issue, then we’ll release, get a version up on a server somewhere, and then look at game-play related stuff, like getting the Bullfrog in, building some powers, making combat work, and maybe adding chat.

• @Morgul Alright, I’ll try to get around to that today. Currently hung up on getting picking to distinguish between babylon meshes and my extension of it.

EDIT: Welp, I’m gonna be honest, it’s not gonna get done today (or tomorrow [I’ll be away.]) Still working on proper picking, been through about four algorithms, all of which have rounding issues or don’t work with a rotation matrix properly.

EDIT: Done with that project. :D
    Working on extracting the asteroids now. Here’s an idea for the scale you were using. So that I could view SurfDonut at all on my measly laptop, I had to scale it to size 0.002. (Therefore the scale might be off a bit)

SurfDonut and TehShoe have been added to the repository. :3

last edited by TriBlade9
  • @TriBlade9 Just so that this shows up in the notifications, SurfDonut and TehShoe have been separated from the scene and added as asteroids. :3

• So, umm, it’s been about a month. Anything going on?

• Godlike Fuzzydice

@TriBlade9 Yes! Just wait, there’s going to be a really interesting topic added shortly. XD

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Asset Discussion and Review was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.